National COVID Alert - Stay Home
From Thursday 5 November, everyone must stay at home, and may leave only for a limited set of reasons.
Under the new restrictions:
- People are being told to stay at home unless they have a specific reason to leave, such as work, which cannot be done from home, and for education purposes.
- School, colleges and universities will remain open.
- People are also allowed to leave home for exercise, medical reasons, to buy food and other essential shopping and to provide care for vulnerable people or for volunteering.
- Meeting family and friends indoors or in private gardens will not be allowed.
- People are still allowed to form support bubbles.
- Children can move between homes if their parents are separated.
- Outdoor recreation is encouraged, you can meet one person from another household outside in a public place.
- Pubs, bars, restaurants and non-essential retail must close, but takeaways and click-and-collect shopping can remain open.
- Leisure and entertainment venues, including gyms, will also close.
- Construction sites and manufacturing workplaces can remain open.
- Clinically vulnerable people are asked to be “especially careful”, but people are not being asked to resume shielding.
The new restrictions came into force at 0001 on Thursday, 5 November 2020 and will remain in place until Wednesday, 2 December.
Find the latest guidance and exemptions at www.gov.uk/coronavirus